Thursday, April 9, 2009

Oh Fortuna - I Finished

I finally finished reading the Confederacy - I say finally, but from the lack of posting by the rest of yous, I can see I finished it before many of you. To start off, I must say that I am usually a plot driven man. I grew up on John Grisham, who writes books that are purely plot driven without any memorable characters. The lack of strong plot in Confederacy was the most disappointing thing. At first, I thought it might stop me enjoying or even finishing the book. The book starts slow. But as I got to know the characters, I found that I really did enjoy the book. By the end I was sad to see Ignatius go.

Throughout the book, I tried to figure out why Ignatius got himself caught up in so many crazy situations. I think Ignatius sought out trouble just so he would have something to write about. It's like journal writing. For those of you LDS church goers, I think the church has us write in journals because when you have to write about what you do each day, you try to make cool stuff happen during the day so that, at least on paper, you seem awesome. Ignatius thought himself a writer, so he created crazy situations that would give him something to write about.

My wife found a little tidbit about Confederacy on Wikipedia. It seems that the writer's curse lives on.
"There have been repeated attempts to turn the book into a film. In 1982, Harold Ramis was to write and direct an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor, but Belushi's death would prevent this. Later, John Candy and Chris Farley would be touted for the lead, leading many to ascribe a curse to the role."

1 comment:

  1. Nice research. I think John Candy would have been perfect, I already somewhat picture him in the role while reading.

    ReplyDelete